Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Preschool Snack List

As I prepare myself for the school year, I have decided to put together a snack list. I plan to provide it to the parents in Cadel's class, with permission of our teacher, of course.  We always have snacks there for her if what is brought doesn't work for her restrictions.  However, I thought to myself "If it were someone else's child who was intolerant, wouldn't I want to know so I could try to work with their needs?"  I think so.  Yes. I guess I would at the very least like to know what some choices would be and make an informed choice (e.g., So I do not buy something that I think a child would be able to have only to find out they could not, and worse have to see their sad face when they can't!).  Note - Cadel does not make a sad face every time she cannot have something - it is really ALL in managing expectations!

I'm hoping to be able to include with the list a note explaining Cadel's allergies, and a very sincere message about no one having to work around her - this is definitely not my expectation!  I will, however, be inviting the parents to email me a heads up if they would like to so I can provide a snack for Miss C that is in parity with what they are bringing.  For example, if  their child wants to bring birthday cupcakes, then maybe I could send Cadel to school with an allergy-free cupcake - not much more work for them, and a big win for us.  I'm hoping our awesome teacher will be supportive.

Anyway, I've segmented the lists somewhat for ease of shopping.   We do have nut allergies in our preschool class, so I've included some separate items in case you want to use my lists but don't have nut allergies.

Easy to find "healthy-ish" snacks:
- baby carrots
- sliced apples
- orange slices
- grapes
- strawberries
- raspberries
- fruit snacks, fruit rollups, fruit leathers / flats, twisted fruit
- air popped (or oil popped) popcorn (not microwave kind unless it expressly says GF, which most don't)
- applesauce
- cereals - Rice Chex, Corn Chex

Easy to find, but "not-so-healthy" snacks:
- Kraft jet-puffed marshmallows
- plain flavored Pop Chips (the other flavors have dairy)
- candy- Skittles, Starbursts, most lollipops.... actually, this is a great resource for candy - http://surefoodsliving.com/2011/10/halloween-candy-list-gluten-free-allergen-free-2011/ - she updates with each holiday!
- Lays potato chips
- tortilla chips
- Frito's
- most popsicles (check for dairy if you aren't sure!)
- cereals - Fruity/Cocoa/Marshmallow Pebbles
- most any kind of juice, Gatorade, lemonade

Off the beaten path (for people who may shop at co-ops, Whole Foods, etc):
- Annie's bunny cookies - snickerdoodle or cocoa and vanilla
- Enjoy Life brand chocolate chips
- Snyders of Hanover or Glutino brands gluten-free pretzels
- Lucy's and Enjoy Life brands cookies - both are nearly always free of all allergens
- Enjoy Life brand cocoa loco bars

Things to add if there are no nut allergies in your classroom:
- peanuts - regular or honeyroasted
- Environkidz cereals or bars
- peanut butter with the apple slices

Things that would work but that my Girl doesn't like:
- raisins and other dried fruit
- rice chips  (e.g., Riceworks Salsa Fresca are GOOD).  I bet we will find one that she likes eventually.
- pineapple (she's actually allergic)
- blueberries

Things that DO NOT EVER work, unfortunately:
- granola or other types of bars
- crackers (goldfish, graham, etc)
- yogurt  or Gogurt
- anything with milk chocolate in it (so for example, while Peeps candies themselves are fine, chocolate dipped ones are not)
- cheese sticks
- cookies as not mentioned above

2 comments:

Jane said...

great list and idea to provide it to the parents!

Maria's school is asking parents not to send ANY treat for birthdays this year. Reasoning that it is a distraction for the teacher to incorporate into a planned day and that some families can not afford this. I am fine with it.

What are you doing for school lunches for Ulrich? Or are you sending lunch from home? I am planning on sending lunch with Maria the days that the lunch looks like she can't avoid dairy (i.e. pizza)

The Scherers said...

Our Elementary school is no treats, too. The kids can bring pencils or something like that if they want to acknowledge their day.

However, our preschool still has a snack bag, and each child gets it on the date closest to their birth day, so it is often (store bought) treats on those 15 days of the school year.

Also, in elementary school they do have 'treats' for parties (valentines, halloween, christmas, 100th day, etc.) so I hope that we can share some guidelines. (You should, too!!)

Although Ullrich doesn't have the dairy allergy, and if he has a healthy immune system at any given time I'll let him 'cheat' with a bit of gluten, so Cadel is really the one I am far more strict about.

Ullrich is SUPER excited about his new lunch box and thermos, and I for sure will be sending him to school with packed lunches. He is a great eater and gives me lots of fun choices. I am more for sending him with lunch from a healthy/organic perspective than from an allergy perspective. I'm sure I will let him have it once / month or so at school. Or maybe 2x / month.